Psoriasis | Treatment Trends update.
221 dermatologists surveyed to identify future prescribing patterns in psoriasis
By Victoria Hudson, Senior Analyst
15 August 2013
I am the senior analyst for Datamonitor Healthcare’s cardiovascular and metabolic team, and cover everything from acut...
Read full bio
Datamonitor Healthcare surveyed 221 dermatologists in the US, Japan, and five major EU markets (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK) to gain insight into psoriasis diagnosis, patient segmentation, current and future prescribing patterns.
- Dermatologists reveal that most psoriasis patients in the US, Japan, and five major EU markets receive pharmacologic therapy, whether in combination with non-drug therapy or on its own. This is unsurprising and mirrors treatment guidelines for psoriasis.
- Compared to Datamonitor Healthcare’s previous survey, undertaken in 2011, biologic Enbrel lost its position as the leading first-line biologic in psoriasis to Humira. Stelara also continues to gain traction and Datamonitor Healthcare anticipates that greater familiarity and experience with its safety profile will fuel its ascendance over the coming decade.
- Still, the high price of biologic therapy limits patient access to these therapies, which is a factor in the undertreatment and lack of patient satisfaction within psoriasis. However, the launch of biosimilars is expected to help address the key unmet need for more affordable therapies for moderate and severe patients.
This research update provides:
- In depth analysis of systemic therapy prescribing patterns in psoriasis in the US, Japan, and five major EU markets
- Detailed Excel deliverable showing the number and percentage of patients per country receiving each systemic treatment option
Key Questions answered…
- How many psoriasis patients receive systemic therapy?
- What position do Enbrel, Humira and Stelara have within the psoriasis treatment algorithm?
- What current unmet needs exist within psoriasis?
Datamonitor Healthcare conducted a survey of 221 dermatologists in the US, Japan, and five major EU markets on their psoriasis treatment choices and prescribing habits.
This is a Psoriasis analysis update from the Datamonitor Healthcare service, which provides regular and event-senstive research for key drugs and companies, treatment trends, patient populations and strategic issues.
- For more information on this research, please contact
- For current clients, please log-in to view the full analysis at: